“The most complete display of Leonardo da Vinci’s human body drawings is to go on show in the UK for the first time.
The exhibition, Leonardo de Vinci: Anatomist, will be held in the Queen’s Gallery of Buckingham Palace in May.
On show will be the contents of the 16th Century Leoni binding, which held the drawings until around 1900.
“The binding was effectively the tomb of the drawings… it ensured that they were not circulated or published” said curator Martin Clayton.
“Only around 1900 did they emerge from the binding, and we now know that they were among the most amazingly detailed and accurate anatomical drawings of all time.
“And this exhibition will be the greatest opportunity since Leonardo’s death to marvel at his achievement.”
The contents of the Leoni binding is owned by the palace and the exhibition follows closely behind the sell-out show of the artist’s rare surviving paintings at London’s National Gallery.
Leonardo da Vinci has long been recognised as one of the greatest artists of the Renaissance but the palace exhibition will also show him as highly perceptive anatomist, who was way ahead of his time.
He produced detailed studies of bones, muscles and internal organs, including the heart and the brain.
It is thought he intended to publish his studies but when he died in 1519 they remained among his private papers.
Leonardo left his notebooks and drawings to his assistant Francesco Melzi, whose son sold them to the sculptor Pompeo Leoni.
Leoni had the anatomical drawings bound together in an album with his name alongside Leonardo’s in gold lettering on the cover: Disegni di Leonardo da Vinci restaurati da Pompeo Leoni - “Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci, preserved by Pompeo Leoni”.
332 Notes/ Hide
- molarseyes reblogged this from scientificillustration
- a--vagabond reblogged this from myampgoesto11
- thatsagooddeduction reblogged this from morgueresident
- psychedelicdreamweaver likes this
- spaceknit reblogged this from scientificillustration
- themeloncholyspirit likes this
- blackboxmessiah likes this
- littlecathead reblogged this from machinassiah
- artandweas reblogged this from anastasiakey
- liammonsworld likes this
- rachealdavis reblogged this from anastasiakey
- anastasiakey reblogged this from myampgoesto11
- fuckyeahapplecrumble reblogged this from scientificillustration
- gwydionmisha likes this
- like-venomous-poison reblogged this from showmeyours-
- ashrrett reblogged this from showmeyours-
- killingthephoenix likes this
- livesofthoselessfamous reblogged this from phar-oahs
- shipsandshivers likes this
- phar-oahs reblogged this from e-jack-ulation
- companioncube76 reblogged this from scientificillustration
- contemplatingthesky reblogged this from scientificillustration
- royal-bloood reblogged this from scientificillustration
- tranklan reblogged this from tetrahedronofdoom
- tetrahedronofdoom reblogged this from myampgoesto11
- jesusaintsavingshit likes this
- demisaurusrex reblogged this from scientificillustration
- hannahscully likes this
- infiniteblackwonderroom reblogged this from scientificillustration
- acciozombies reblogged this from sonadowxmigueltulio
- sonadowxmigueltulio reblogged this from scientificillustration and added:
- thirdeye-sixthsense reblogged this from scientificillustration
- hmidontknow likes this
- razekone reblogged this from freelancer1
- razekone likes this
- mmlissa likes this
- freelancer1 reblogged this from shedsumlight
- heyitssydney reblogged this from morgueresident
- melmel0dy reblogged this from rudeassnico
- naokisballs likes this
- radical-lover reblogged this from clematispassiflora
- aleenaxd reblogged this from alscientist
- buzzlightyearsu likes this
- shedsumlight reblogged this from scientificthought
- nemnems reblogged this from scientificillustration
- theo-szczepanski likes this
- batraptor likes this
- tomberi-no likes this
- emotalpha reblogged this from rememo
- rudeassnico reblogged this from scientificillustration